Difference between Freehold and Sectional Title

Sectional title

This describes separate ownership of units or sections within a complex or development.

Mini subtype house

This is a small, sub-divided portion of a large property which is suitable for cluster housing developments.

Semi-detached house

This is two houses attached to one another. They may be on separate stands and bonded individually as ordinary houses. They can also be on one stand and bonded together under one bond. They can be sold as separate units in a sectional title development.

Townhouse or flat

A townhouse or flat unit must be in an approved sectional title complex. The complex must contain residential units only.

Duet house

This is similar to a semi-detached house, but there are two separate free-standing units on one stand. It could also be two dwelling units attached to one another on one stand. They can be sold under sectional title.

More about sectional title ownership

When you buy into a sectional title complex you purchase a section or sections and an undivided share of the common property. These are collectively known as the unit.

Common property

The common property is that part of the development which does not form part of any section. Structures and areas in this category include; driveways, gardens, swimming pool, club houses, corridors, lift, entrance foyer, outer wall and foundations.

Exclusive use area

Exclusive use areas are portions of the common property which have been demarcated and may only be used by the owner of a particular section.
It is an aspect of the property which you do not own, but over which you alone have use. This could include: parking bays, garden, patio, garages and storeroom

The body corporate

It is the collective name given to the owners of the units in your complex. All registered owners of units are members of the body corporate. This means you will be liable for the debt of the body corporate, so it is advisable that you scrutinize the financial statements of the body corporate before you purchase.


These are the costs incurred in running the complex which have been paid by the body corporate. The levies include the following costs: Rates and taxes and other charges, insurance premiums, repairs and maintenance of the common property, wages and salaries of cleaners and other staff, water and electricity used on the common property

Freehold / Full title

Full title describes the transfer of full ownership rights when you own the property as well as the land it is built on.


This is a normal free standing house with ERF number.

Cluster House

A cluster house is a freehold property, usually in a development of similar houses. The group of houses usually has limited access through a security control. Each house is individually owned and no levy is charged to the occupants.

Residential property used for business purposes

The property will be regarded as residential property provided that no structural changes are made which could affect its description as a domestic residential dwelling. A risk premium above the qualifying homeloan rate is applicable if more than half of the house is used for business purposes.


A smallholding is classified as such if it is situated in or within a 150 km radius of a built up area, does not exceed 20 hectares and is able to be connected to a local authority water supply or has a borehole.

There must be a dwelling on the property and the main source of income must not be from farming on the property. If the smallholding is larger than 8,56 hectares, it will be charged a risk premium above the qualifying homeloan rate.